Woah it’s September!
The last month has flown by, and unsurprisingly I haven’t kept the blog up-to-date. I have some good excuses though.
I became a Dad 👨👩👧
My wife and I welcomed our daughter into the world. Lily Grace Jarvis was born on 17 August at 14:00 and weighing a healthy 8lbs 5oz.
They’re both doing wonderfully. And whilst the last few weeks have been a bit of a blur, it’s also been filled with some of our happiest moments. I’ve also learned some things about Fatherhood.
I got older 🥳
I celebrated my 31st birthday on August 7. No it doesn’t feel any different, stop asking that.
I read a bunch more 🤓
This one might seem a little at odds with the whole having a baby thing, but at the end of July I overcame my aversion for consuming digital books and picked up some new titles to read on my iPhone.
After struggling through the first couple of days, I am now fully onboard with reading books on a handheld device. I have increased my reading rate by about 300% which is pretty crazy. I’m currently reading (or have recently completed):
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
- Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- Paradox by Catherine Coulter
- Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
- Triptych by Karin Slaughter
I really wish that I’d forced myself to do this sooner.
I got a new camera 📷
I love photography, but I’ve never thought myself any good. It’s also a fairly expensive hobby (if you let it be, which I absolutely could see myself doing).
I wanted to challenge myself to become better so I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a mirrorless camera. I went with mirrorless because DSLR’s are just too chunky for me and I think I’d seldom use it.
After some toing and froing, I picked up a Sony a6000. Whilst it’s a fairly old camera (which Sony finally upgraded 1 week after I purchased), the reviews are really good. Also:
- It was on sale for almost 50% off
- The Sony e-mount system really appeals to me. I can purchase better lenses and avoid upgrading the body until/if I outgrow it
- The Sony firmware seems pretty good. This might not be a deal-breaker for most people, but it was important for me
- It’s really popular. There’s loads of YouTube videos and articles about this camera, and that appeals to me especially as someone new to mirrorless and APS-C sensors
Next up ➡️
That’s it for now. I have a very busy September ahead, and hope to add a couple of new (more interesting) posts later this month.